Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Journey thru James

I have read about GMG in the past, but never more than that.  Well this year, among other things, I have decided to "stop just thinking about and act."  That's why I have joined a group and found my accountability partner. 

We are reading James alongside other GMG groups.  So far, here is my journey:
James 1:1,2: At first I thought "what the heck am I going to get out of just two verses" but I was pleasantly surprised when I read the intro and the verses. The first thing that he does after introducing himself is to say "consider it joy when you face trials." WOW!  Can you imagine meeting him!?!? "Hi, my name is James and I want to tell you that you should consider it joy when you're having a bad day." I like that he opens with this because it says to me "rearrange your thoughts and find joy in everything, especially the trials."  Align your thinking with T-H-A-T! 

James 1:3,4: (I am writing the verses out in a binder and am finding that it sinks in more.) "Testing of your faith produces perseverance... so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." If only I could get over myself enough to let God do His work in my life, then I won't lack a thing. Pretty bold words that I want to resignate all day long. Consider it joy when you face trials. You will persevere and lack nothing. Last night in our marriage small group, we talked about 'getting over arguments quickly so as to enjoy each other's company once again.' Reading this mornings verses just reaffirmed this idea... you will face trials, but persevere as tomorrow will supply you with all you need!

James 1: 5,6: Today's verses really struck a cord with me. When Matt and I first were married, it was a struggle. We are very strong willed and both had high expectations. Oh how the devil loved to see us fight! At the end of 2009 I was ready to walk away because I just didn't see an end to the hostility and frustrations. My friend gave me The Power of a Praying Wife, asked me to read it for 30 days and then make my decision. It was life changing! Our marriage is happy, loving, exciting, filled with friendship, blissful, etc. because I asked God to give me the wisdom. I had no idea how to be a wife, but with his help I am gaining the wisdom now to be the best partner I can be for Matt.  Along the same lines, I am in a job that I just do not fit into. It doesn't make me happy; I don't feel that I'm particularly great at it; it causes me stress and anxiety (which can seap into other ares of my life)... you get the picture. Reading todays' verse reminded me that if I can ask and trust God with something as huge as changing my marriage then why can't I ask him for help with my job/career?


Just a little bit more about me, my walk with God, and my life as a wife :)

3 comments:

  1. This is such a BEAUTIFULLY transparent post - thank you for opening up and just sharing so freely what you are learning! You blessed my heart tonight!
    Keep walking with the King!!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to GMG! I am so glad you are joining us in the James study!

    blessings & giggles
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I'm so glad you decided to join us and do the James study!!! I almost laughed when I read, "What am I going to get out of just 2 verses?" I totally understand and I'm sure you aren't the only one asking that question! I'm so thankful that you found out that these verses are packed full of wisdom and application! :) Your friend was so wise in recommending the Power of a Praying Wife! One of my FAVORITE books!!! :) If you haven't already, you might want to read Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs!!! Thanks so much for your transparency in your post! I loved getting to know you! Thanks for linking up with us at Good Morning Girls!

    Love God Greatly!
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete